An Educational Consultant …
is a professional who possesses knowledge of both school programming and course options and special educational options. This expertise is used to assist students and their families with educational decisions. The consultant helps parents discover the right accommodations for their child, and works with families to consider possible curricular alternatives, accommodations and future plans.
Parents need an educational consultant …
to help ensure that their goals for their children can be achieved in a timely manner. An educational consultant is an advocate and a guide during an important yet often confusing time in a student’s and family’s life. The consultant can offer an unbiased and objective analysis of educational goals and choices and can help parents develop a more objective perspective regarding their child’s learning strengths and needs, and available options.
An Educational Consultant …
- Brings firsthand knowledge of school and program options and opportunities to parents and students
- Stays abreast of changes in education
- Spends time with the student and/or family to explore and process available options
- Follows up with students and/or staff in schools and programs per parent request
- Helps maximize a student’s academic potential and talent development
An Educational Consultant helps …
- Clarify priorities for consideration in school programmes
- Work with students to help them develop self-advocacy skills
- Work with parents to understand the Transition IPRC process (Identification, Placement, and Review Committee)
- Work with parents and students to help refine a student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- Work with parents to understand reports from educational psychological testing
- Discover and develop new talents in a student
Parents seek an educational consultant …
- To better understand their child’s unique learning needs
- For objective analysis of educational goals and choices
- At natural transition times such as moving from elementary school to secondary school. These are good times to take stock and ensure that programming will meet the student’s needs.
- To ensure that the school is meeting the needs of their child
- To bring clarity to a confusing array of educational options
- For personal attention and assistance in working with all members of the educational system
Welcome to Quantum Educational Services
I look forward to working with you and your child.
An academic history will be taken in the first visit, as well as a review of documents and a determination of the parent’s and student’s most important concerns and goals.
The following list of support materials may assist in this initial visit.
Review the following list for suggestions of what to bring to the first meeting, if possible. Do not worry if you do not have this information readily available. You can collect copies of many of these materials which can be found in your child’s Ontario Student Record file. We can discuss what records should be requested, if necessary, at the initial meeting and plans to acquire these records can be made at that time.
Information & Records Which May Be Useful:
- School transcripts & current grades in progress
- Learning evaluations
- Individual Education Plan [IEP]
- Other pertinent school records (focus of concern records etc.)
- Teacher evaluations or recommendations
- Tutoring evaluations and summaries if outside tutoring has been accessed for the child.
Testing and Evaluation
- Psychological or educational evaluations (school-based or independent evaluations)
- Speech & Language evaluations and recommendations (if administered)
- Other assessments (reading, developmental etc.)
- ADHD records & rating forms if the child has been diagnosed as having ADHD
- Samples of writing
- Art & poetry portfolios
- Records of accomplishments and awards
- A list of outside extra-curricular activities and involvements
- A list of areas of interest
In a nutshell, Quantum Educational Services offers:
- In-home client consultations
- Evening and weekend appointments
- Distance consultation via Skype or Facetime
- Parent coaching with a focus on guiding learning skills and targeted learning resources
- Home learning environment assessments
- Special Education process assistance (IPRC , IEP, system classes)
- Secondary school program option information
- Post-secondary education application support
Families need a safe way to assess educational options. Be assured that the privacy of all family members is of utmost importance to me. I am committed to respecting and protecting your student’s privacy. Therefore:
- Personal information will be collected with your knowledge and consent.
- Only information that is reasonably necessary to provide service will be collected.
- Information will not be disclosed to any persons without the knowledge and written consent of parents.
Quantum Education Consulting – Jean A. Winter
At the time of my retirement from active teaching, I was Head of Special Education responsible for all aspects of in-school psychological testing, completing referrals for testing by the board’s Psychological Services Department, developing enrichment programs for gifted students, assisting with Transition IPRC planning for incoming students, and the development and on-going adjustments of the Individual Education Plans of those students in regular high school classes who had or would benefit from having an IEP. The students I tested, counseled, and advised spanned the ages of 14 – 18. In conjunction with my individual work with students, I advised teachers on how to engage and support different types of learners; how to manage complex behavioral dynamics of individual children or among children in a classroom; and how to work with specialists, administrators, and parents when students were struggling to meet the demands of the Ontario curriculum.
While I am no longer an active classroom teacher responsible for the in-school testing process for students…
I do assist parents in the following ways:
- Assistance interpreting educational test scores and reports, neuropsychological test scores and narratives, psychological reports, Individualized Education Plans (IEP’s), and any other written or verbal evaluative information on their children
- Accompanying parents to teacher conferences, school meetings, or meetings with other specialists in order to provide support, an additional set of ears, and to debrief/clarify the information given
As well, I offer the following services:
- Application strategies, including recommendations for test preparation, tutoring, curriculum, and any needed remediation or enrichment
- Mock interview practice and feedback for students
- Advice on application essays for students and parents (when applicable)
- Light editing help with essays, and review of general portfolio
- Review of completed applications
- Tutoring support for students in English, Learning Strategies, Test Taking Strategies, and the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test
Wise Choice and Wise Investment
Families need a secure way to assess their educational options and to make choices without pressure. Parents can gather information to help them in their decision making process, gain peace of mind, and reduce stress by collaborating with an educational consultant.
Fees for Service
The fee for my services is $80.00 per hour or part thereof. Payment will be expected upon the delivery of service and a receipt will be issued.